Thursday, June 26, 2008

My crack

I was reading sugar busted and it definitely hit home! Sugar is my crack. I'm either staying as far away from it as i can or i'm bingeing on it with no end in sight and i feel so lousy physically after! I'm not one of those people who can eat one cookie, no i eat a bag or at least 1/2 a bag. So with that in mind i do try to stay away from anything that might trigger my hunger for it.

I've learned over the years that i have to treat it like i have quitting smoking, my mantra then was "not even one smoke" as i knew if i did i'd be right back to it! Now with sugar, obviously i come across it but i do try to stay away from the stuff that will start me on a downward slide.

I also find that white sugar or fast food take out leads me to craving more sugar!!
So tonight when i'm going to work surrounded by donuts and danishes. I'm going to try to completely ignore them.

Which is why i started blogging to stay accountable to others and hopefully that will help me stay accountable to myself!!

8 comments:

  1. Good idea...if you know your trigger foods...why go anywhere near them??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I does make you feel lousy, doesn't it? I hope that makes it easier to avoid. I know it's hard being surrounded by the baked goods all day, but honestly, they're just not worth it!

    Great job, by the way. I forget what a strong woman you can be when surrounded by all that crap food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sugar was the one thing that I pretty much cut out when I started this little journey of mine. I let myself eat whatever I want, but just much smaller portions on the "bad" foods, but no sugar. Now when I sneak a little sweet treat, it makes me feel awful and keeps me not going back.

    Good luck in passing the pastries, you'll thank yourself for it later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how it feels eating only one cookie. All it does is make you want to eat more lol. I don't know though, I find that not allowing myself to satisfy my cravings leads me to binging so I try to find some sort of balance. It is certainly the most difficult part about losing weight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that book as well.
    and need to think before I grab sugary ANYTHING:

    am I ok with the fact I KNOW I can NOT stop once I get started and that Ill be eating a LOT of XYZ food and feeling shi*** in the morning?


    sometimes I say "SURE!" but usually I can resist :)

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eighteen months ago I used to eat sugar and white flour goods all day long, be depressed, have horrific mood swings, have no energy, enthusiasm, confidence, self-esteem. Sound familiar?

    Today I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed, full of fun, confidence, motivation - oh the list of positive changes that have happened to me is endless.

    What really helped me is a book called Potatoes not Prozac by Dr Kathleen DesMaisons. It explains why we feel so bad - it's not your fault, you were just born with a sugar sensitive body. Everyone's talking about it!

    It is absolutely possible to heal your sugar addiction. And as I've found out, life after sugar is a very good life indeed!

    With best wishes from someone who has totally been there and come out the other side :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's a tip for you...just imagine all your co-workers' grimy hands all over them after using the bathroom and not washing their hands. That should keep you away :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I totally know where you're coming from. I used to have horrendous sugar cravings which I often couldn't resist, and then start the next day with a sugar hangover, yuck. I felt awful, so groggy and tired and just yuck.
    I actually followed the same plan Selena mentioned, there's a cool website as well radiantrecovery.com, with a really friendly and supportive forum.
    I can't even remember the last time I had a sugar craving, and I've lost 20lbs!

    ReplyDelete