Monday, August 24, 2009

I. need. sleep


For the last month or so i've been dealing with insomnia. Every night!!

Take last night i went to bed around 12 which is my usual time because when i'm at work i'm not home till 11. I lay there until 3, got up for a while went back to bed. Lay there until 5 got up and took something to help me to sleep and slept till 9. For a total of approximately 4 hours of sleep!!

I can't keep doing this. The dr did give me a few pills to help me sleep, when i take them they work but i only have a couple left. So i think i'm going to end up phoning the dr for an appointment so that he can prescribe me something to take regularly for a while.

And the funny thing is i really don't drink coffee very often (maybe once a week) and i wind down for the last hour or so. And then i go to bed where my mind is going 100 miles an hour!

Anyone do anything that helps them sleep?? Please share

On a happier note this morning i stepped on the scale and i'm back to where i was before surgery which is awesome because for a couple of days there i hardly got off of the couch and i ate whatever i felt like :)

11 comments:

  1. I hate insomnia. I have gone through periods of time where I struggled with this, and it's not fun.

    One thing that helped a bit was right before I went to bed, I'd make a list of all the things I needed to get done the next day. For some reason, writing it down really helped me release the worry.

    I hope you get some better rest soon, and by the way, congrats on the weight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mind turns on like that when I lie down. It drives me crazy. I've been on Ambien, but quit taking it about six months ago. Now I have insomnia periods, but usually can fall asleep by 12. It stinks and if you can figure it out, share!


    Glad you're back to your pre-surgery weight!

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain Suzi! I have been going through the same thing. I was twittering at 3am this morning to try to help me relax and fall over!

    It really is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried Melatonin supplements? My co-worker takes them and says it works wonders.

    Sorry you are having trouble sleeping. I also am sleep-deprived, but it's because of a Facebook addiction and too much social life...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely call the doctor, you need to be getting your rest. We are working to live a healthy life and have a healthy lifestyle....sleep is an important part of that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely call the doctor, you need to be getting your rest. We are working to live a healthy life and have a healthy lifestyle....sleep is an important part of that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I struggle with this now as well. Something that has helped some is 5HTP that I take about 20 minutes before bedtime. It is a seratonin or melatonin enhancer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Insomnia is the worst!! I hate it. I usually go to bed too early and end up waking at 3 or 4 a.m. and not getting back to sleep. What helps me is TV. I just let it lull me to sleep again. But I agree, you should really see your doctor about some regular medication. That is too little sleep you are getting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have both insomnia and restless leg syndrome, so my sleep is constantly being interrupted. I've been taking 6mg of Melatonin lately (2 of the 3mg pills). A friend swears by that, but so far my results have been mixed. I feel for ya, and wish I could help. If I find something wonderful, I'll be sure and let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read a really boring book. I can send you my textbook when I'm done!

    I'm joking, yes, but I really do hope they can help you out. There's nothing more de-motivating than being exhausted all the time. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read advice in a magazine once and it totally works for me!

    Count backwards from 300 by 3's. 300, 297, 294...

    Sing your national anthem in your head. Focus on it. If you find your mind wandering, mentally slap yourself back into place and start from the beginning again.

    It's about shutting your mind off and boring it to sleep. If you give it something to focus on, it can't buzz around.

    ReplyDelete