Friday, October 30, 2009

Grocery shopping day!


I'm finally getting better at cutting down on the groceries i buy. I managed to clean out the freezer and list what i had in there to use up. Also when i make most of my breakfasts i make a double batch to freeze and use on days when i don't have much time :)

I'm also making sure i know what is on sale at which store and stocking up on things we use.

Combine this with being willing to try new things and it's not only a win/win situation but also fun and healthy.

Do you have any tips for a novice?? Any great recipes that use lentils/beans and other low cost but healthy ingredients?? Would love to hear from you.

7 comments:

  1. The cheapest meal I make is Cauliflower soup. It literally feeds 6 people for the cost of a bag of frozen cauliflower-sometimes as low 60 cent!

    A bag of frozen cauliflower, 2 buillion cubes and a kettle of boiling water. Blend it after the cauliflower is soft and it is thick and creamy.

    So cheap, so delicious. Try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a plan. Do you get coupons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roasted Garlic and White bean soup! So cheap and the hardest part is soaking the beans and roasting the garlic :P

    If you want the recipe let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any ideas but will read the ones you get. :)

    - Lisa
    http://inweighovermyhead.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't think of any specific recipes, but I know pasta is always pretty cheap, as are beans - you can make up a bunch of different recipes with those.
    I also need to cut down on my groceries, and use up what I have in my freezer - it's packed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a recipe for bean soup: 2c white beans or kidney beans, 8 cups water, 2 onions, 3 garlic cloves, 1 tbsp olive oil,3 carrots, 2 stalks celery, asparagus(opt), 10 oz tomato paste, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp salt. Soak beans. Chop the vegs. Saute the vegs then add them to the drained, soaked beans. Add the 8 c water. Add tomato paste. Simmer on low until the beans are soft, about 1 1/2 hrs.
    Val

    ReplyDelete