Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 2

Went for a physical at the Dr's today! Not my favourite thing to do for sure :) He did say that I'm very healthy.

The Dr also asked me to not take calcium because I already have stenosis (hardening/blockage) of my arteries and high blood pressure (which is fine as long as I take my meds) and they're now saying that people with heart disease who take large does of calcium have a higher risk of stroke!
I'm not a Dr and please consult your own Dr if you have questions.

Breakfast: (before the Dr's):
Egg substitute omelet, turkey bacon, whole wheat english muffin with no sugar jam

My appointment was for 11 am and Ralph's wasn't until 1:40 so I took a smoothie and a yogurt to hold me over. A cookie dough smoothie! I'm sorry I don't remember the name but someone on NutriMirror had this recipe. I have tweaked it a little :)
I used: 6oz almond breeze
           1 tsp vanilla extract
           1/4c oats
           1Tbsp cocoa
           1/2 Tbsp of agave
           1 frozen banana
           20g peanut flour (for protein)

Dinner was a bbq'd hamburger and some side veggies


Recap for the day:
1. Were my calories between 1200-1300?= 1255
2. Did I exercise today?= Between our appointments I walked up and down every aisle of a huge walmart without stopping for approx 40 minutes so yes :)
3. How many cups of water?=I've drank 6 cups so far and I should easily be able to get three more before bed
4. Did I journal my food?=yes
5. Did I have any issues today?=not really!

Tomorrow I'm spoiling myself, I'm going to a running store to be properly fitted for running shoes. I'm also stopping at one of my favourite European grocery stores to pick up a few things :) Oh and if I have the chance I'm picking up a new water bottle at Starbucks!

This challenge might get a big difficult in the next week or so, I'm on holiday and we do plan to eat out a few times. I'll try to make good choices and life goes on. 

I'm having problems commenting on a few of your blogs so don't think I'm ignoring you!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with everything! Great job tracking your intake. Check ups are always slightly nerve-wracking but I'm glad you got the peace of mind that you are healthy! That is PRICELESS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a while since I've gone in for a proper physical, so please don't yell at me. It is important, I know. But hey, you're healthy as a horse, and that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. High Five, girl! I did better today. I am about to go add to my 100 days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Calcium is a very tricky thing- our bodies need it but not in the ways that our modern society seems to belive. Calcium supplements, while touted by the media and "healthy" advice can be some of the worst things to take. Not only can they lead to strokes, but they can cause kidney stones and gravel like deposits in our joints that make arthritis symptoms a lot more painful. Best , safest sources of calcium are dark greens and broccoli- both are easier absorbed by the body and a lot safer than calcium supplements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was national bloggers doctors day, you, me and Anne were at the doctors today!!!! Weird huh?

    ReplyDelete