Sunday, October 30, 2011

I'm glad you weren't here to see that!

Yesterday minutes before I left for work I fell off of my computer chair, banged my foot and knee but I don't think I did any major damage! Thank goodness

I worked till 10 pm last night and went to bed around 12, back up at 6:30 and back at work at 8 am this morning. Not awake but I was there :)

This morning I managed to make some eggs, prosciutto, a slice of squirrelly bread and a tbsp of peanut butter. At least I think that was what it was, I wasn't actually awake enough to know.

I decided to eat some berry oatmeal at work today.  Actually I managed to leave work early so I made a coconut water/mango/vanilla whey protein smoothie and have some sweets and beets when I got home.

Dinner was a roasted chicken, low sodium stuffing, low sodium gravy, massaged kale and some mashed rutabaga . I've got to remember to put kale on my grocery list to get more!

A glass of wine and a mini piece of very dark chocolate was a great way to end my day.

I made my favourite spicy pickled green beans!

Spicy pickled green beans
1 lb of fresh green beans ends trimmed (or be lazy like me and buy a bag of fresh green beans already trimmed and washed)
2 cups of rice vinegar
1/4c sugar (I used splenda)
2 Tbsp of kosher salt (I used sea salt)
6 small dried chiles
1 tsp of peppercorns black or multi-coloured
1/2 lemon cut into slices
I added some button mushrooms this time but I don't know how they'll taste yet since it's still warm :)

1. Bring a pot of water to boil and blanch the green beans until tender-crisp 3 minutes or so. Don't overcook. Drain and put into a large heat proof container.

2. Bring 2 1/2 cups of water to a boil in another medium pot and add vinegar, sugar(sweetener), salt, chiles and peppercorns. As soon as it boils pour it over the green beans and add the lemon slices. Let it cool to room temperature. Slit 3 of the chiles to let seeds spill out into liquid. Chill covered overnight in fridge. Serve cold.

If you don't like spicy things use less or no chiles. Also splitting them makes it spicier so you could also leave that out.

A great crunchy/spicy/salty snack :)

7 comments:

  1. Ditto what Karen said. This food makes what I ate this weekend look rather dull. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of kale? Massaged?
    I need to learn all about this.
    Glad your foot is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you did not hurt yourself. The food does look awesome, and I am going to try that recipe. glad to visit as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad youre fine Suzy.

    Love that you are willing to share everything with us :)

    xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. mashed rutabaga I had never thought to do that and I just recieved some in my crop share! Thank you for the great idea!
    And thank you for stopping in at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad no damage was done with the fall. Great looking food for the day, have a wonderful week Suzy!!

    ReplyDelete